Sooooooo, little did I know when I bought a kit and a pair of pliers roughly a decade ago it would be so life changing. And when I made my first few pieces, little did I know they would fall apart on me and I’d have to make them again. And of course, if they did break, naturally it was the pieces I considered extremely complicated at the time…some multi-stranded numbers that meant I had to redo every stinking strand. Ugh!
Once I was in a bead shop and this gal asked me how do you store your beads? I thought what a stupid question. And I explained I stashed them in a box, stored by color…no big deal. She saw the fistful of strands in my hands, and tubes of seedbeds sitting on the counter, awaiting checkout. Her parting words were, “You just wait!”
She tried to tell me. She really did! I guess she recognized a kindred spirit and knew just where I was headed. That was then, this is now. A box…sorted by color. Seriously? How ’bout a wall, sorted by color, and two cabinets, filled top to bottom sorted by color.
There comes a time when you’ve just got to recognize you have a problem…in my case, a major problem! I’m talking about the girl who went to Gem and Mineral Shows wearing a backpack to drag home her treasures. Do you think the vendors recognized a “live one?” Oh yes they did!
I did that two years in a row. I would come home with aching feet, and rush out to the man-cave to tell my late husband I was home. He’d say, go fix yourself a drink and show me what you got. He was a rock hound at heart, me…I liked the sparkly things back then; but my backpack would have bits of both. Then we’d enjoy the “unveiling ceremony” where I would lovingly lay out strand after strand of treasures!
It doesn’t take too many gem shows to create a surplus! Since the house was about to cave in, I decided it was high time I did something my disorganized mess. I’ve been sorting, reorganizing, culling, and cussing for a solid week now, paying for the decisions I made many moons ago. You see, since I’m a fanatic about “seeing my stuff,” I stored my beads upside down so I could see the contents in each jar.
But, I still had a space problem. So I did this. Talk about painful! And tedious, and ENDLESS! And, not wanting to spend another dime, I needed those trays for another purpose–as displays for my finished pieces.
Eventually, all of those trays of beads landed in one of two cabinets. This is what it looked like a year ago. My desire to find things quickly soon became a nightmare. So, in an effort to conserve real estate, the old system had to go.
It has taken me roughly eight days to reorganize this mess. I never, ever, ever want to do this again! So I tried to be methodical about it and I’m fairly certain some tweaking will be ongoing. There was a ton of stuff to deal with…all acquired for several years, and squirreled away in several places in the house. Before I consolidated everything in my now studio space, I was clueless about how top-heavy my stash had grown. I hate to admit how many things I had duplicated–simply because I was storing things in three rooms back then.
Being part of the Build a Line Challenge made me spread everything out. I knew when I did it I was going to go crazy…I just didn’t realize it would be so soon. Here are some pics of the civic improvements I’ve made since I hit the “do something now” moment!
Here’s is the part of my cabinet that got labeled “The Good Stuff” in honor of our group mentor, Brenda Sue Lansdowne, who sells the best of the best at http://www.bsueboutiques.com. The pieces I make with her components always sell!
Oh my goodness, I almost forgot to show you the AFTER pictures! Here are the cabinets now. I think I need to hang a big sign in my studio which reads: Put it Away!
Of course, there are still dribs and drabs that need tending to. Rome wasn’t built in a day–or eight days, either. But, I promised myself a day off and it begins NOW! Life is good, good, good! Thanks for the visit.